Born: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Lives and works: Victoria, British Columbia
About: I am a Canadian SSHRC scholar, literary anthropologist, graphic novelist, and published poet. Currently, I am researching psychosis narratives for my interdisciplinary PhD in anthropology, wherein I will conduct ethnographic fieldwork and publish an innovative, multimedia volume of comics-poetry on the subject to accompany my dissertation.
2017-2021 University of Victoria (UVic) – Victoria, British Columbia.
- Ph.D., Anthropology Department, University of Victoria (UVic).
- Ph.D. Thesis: “Madness and Myth in Graphic Narratives—A Case Study of Recovery Communities of Practice.”
- Supervised by Dr. Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier (main supervisor), Dr. Lisa Mitchell (committee member), and Dr. Suze Berkhout (committee member).
2012-2014 University of British Columbia (UBC) – Kelowna, British Columbia.
- MA in Interdisciplinary Studies; Community, Culture, and Global Studies (CCGS) Department; University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO).
- MA Thesis: “Narrative, Myth and Cultural Resource Management in Wadeye, Northern Territory, Australia: A Preliminary Study.”
- Supervised by Dr. Naomi McPherson (main supervisor), Dr. Roberta Dods (committee member), and Dr. Liane Gabora (committee member).
2005-2011 Thompson Rivers University (TRU) – Kamloops, British Columbia.
- BA, English and Modern Languages Department, Rhetoric and Professional Writing Option, Thompson Rivers University (TRU).
- “Engaging the Gift, Volunteering, and Theology at Saint Vincent de Paul Society of Kamloops.” Thesis supervised by Dr. Lisa Cooke (Anthropology).
- “Gifting Rites in Western Epics—An Analysis of the Gift within Medieval to Early Modern Literatures.” Thesis supervised by Dr. Ken Simpson (Literature).
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONOURS
2017-2021 UVic – Graduate Award, Fellowship, and TAship.
2014 UBC – Graduate Student Travel Grant.
2013-2014 UBC – University Graduate Fellowship.
2013 SSHRC – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement.
2011-2013 SSHRC – MA Joseph-Armand Bombardier Scholarship.
2012-2013 OSAP – Ontario Graduate Scholarship (Awarded and Declined).
2011 TRU – Valedictorian Graduation Ceremony Candidate.
2009 TRU – English and Modern Languages Book Award.
2008 TRU – U-REAP Scholarship.
2005-2011 TRU – Thompson Rivers Foundation Scholarship.
PUBLICATIONS AND CONTRIBUTIONS
2019 “Somatic Shockings across Ailment Narratives: Lessons from the Sacred Geographies of an Indigenous Spirit-world.” PlatForum. Vol. 16: 52-83.
2011 “The Mythopoetic Mind of Plato: The Kingdom-Sage’s Muthos in Timaeus, The Republic, and The Symposium.” Metapsychosis. [ www.metapsychosis.com/mythopoetic-mind-of-plato-overview/]
2019 “Of Violent Ends, Of Virtue Erased: Dæmonic Echoes in a Time of Atrocities.” Worlds Without Us – Cultural, Social, and Political Thought Conference. University of Victoria, Victoria, BC.
2018 “Co-Assembling Contrapuntal Realities in the Field—An Ethnographic Exodus into Creative Liminalities, Spirited Innovation, and the Mythscapes of the Comics Mediums,” CASCA-Cuba 2018 Conference. Universidad de Oriente, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba.
2018 “‘Psychotic Bodies/Embodiment’—Navigating through the Sensorium of Immersive Worlds and Psychoscapes,” Uncommon Senses II Conference. Concordia University, Montréal, Quebec.
2019 “abandon.” Published in poetry audio collections: Soundbite, vol. 2. [https://antilang.ca/2019/01/09/soundbite-preview-luke-kernans-abandon/].
2017 “Inspired Word Café: Season 2, Episode 22.” Featured poet for recorded TV broadcast. Shaw TV (Channel 11). Kelowna, BC. April 20, 2017.
2016 “Meridians of Melolight.” Published in poetry anthology: Reinventing Myths (Mytho-मंथन), Authorspress. December 11, 2016.
2016 “A Highlander, a Whitebeam.” Invited for poetry reading and performance, poetry workshop, and chapbook printing: Beginnings and Endings: The Creation of Meaning, Central Okanagan Hospice Association (COHA), Kelowna, BC. November 18 – December 2, 2016.
2019 “Sketches of Adnan Selimović; Heteroglossic Hearts.” Invited for poetry reading and performance: HREV Presents: UVIC Spoken Word ‘Injustice.’ Victoria, BC. February 27, 2019.
2018 “Sonnet 01: Lala Ragimova,” “Sketches of Adnan Selimović; Heteroglossic Hearts,” “The Hanged Man’s Nous; The Note-Taker’s Needle,” “Rilke Soaring,” “Dark Phoenix,” “Skylarks Swallowing Stars.” Featured poet. August Château Dome Soirée. Victoria, BC. August 18, 2018.
2017 “Serenade for Ika Chigogidze; the Starless Seas of the Storm.” Accepted for poetry reading and performance: Tonight It’s Poetry. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. August 20, 2017.
2017-Present Foundry BC – Kelowna and Victoria, BC.
2017-Present BC Schizophrenic Society (BCSS) – Kelowna and Victoria, BC.
2016-Present Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – Kelowna and Victoria, BC.
2013 Kanamkek-Yile Ngala Museum, Wadeye Aboriginal Languages Centre (WALC), and Thamarrurr Catholic School – Wadeye, Northern Territory, Australia.
2010-2011 Saint Vincent de Paul Society (SSVP) – Kamloops, BC.